Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Tree Painting

Has it really been two weeks since my last post?!? How did that happen? 

I had seen a raffia fall wreath over at The Hand Me Down House and thought it looked easy and cheap, so I decided to give it a try. 

Scratch that. I was going to do a post on the raffia wreath today, but I can't find the pictures! Sigh. Pardon the tangent here...

We have two computers in our house and I thought the pics were on the one I'm currently using. When I couldn't find them, I thought...oh, maybe they are on my thumb drive.  So, I spent 10 minutes looking for my thumb drive. Nope, not there. That means they must be on the OTHER computer. And to be honest, I just don't feel like booting that one up at the moment.

So, I've decided to show you a painting a did a couple of years ago instead.  One day while wandering around in Pier 1, I saw this painting I really, really, really liked. It was a tree with shades of reds and oranges that kinda blended into each other. Very cool. (I looked for a picture online, but like I said, it's been a couple of years so they don't have it anymore. Sorry!) Until I saw the price tag, $300. Um, yeah...I don't think so. And the more I looked at it the more I thought...hey, I could do that.

I really like the way it turned out...it's not exactly like the one at Pier 1, but since it's an orignal (hee hee) I think it's better.  I think it took me maybe an hour total. I let the base colors dry before I painted the tree.





I went to Michael's and bought a canvas and just used regular old acrylic craft paint. Super easy and cheap! If I remember right the canvase was $10-14 and the acrylic paint was $3 (for all the colors). I'd say that $17 is pretty good for a nice sized piece of art!

(On a side note, the candle sconces on either side of the painting used to be silver. The silver really didn't go with well with the red/orange painting, so I painted them a bronze metallic with spray paint. I actually like them much better now!)

As soon as I get up the gumption to boot up the other computer and find the wreath pictures, I'll do that other post. I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!